Re: [LAU] Tracking at 44.1 vs. 48k vs 96k?

From: Brent Busby <brent@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Feb 08 2013 - 21:15:03 EET

On 02/08/13 01:10, James Stone wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 1:06 AM, Brent Busby <brent@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>> That's the experience I've had here also with my RME Multiface II:
>>
>> Despite that it's been regarded as a nice interface (and it is!), I've found
>> that it's *much* darker sounding at 44.1/48kHz, and only seems to have full
>> clarity in the treble at 96kHz. Since I really doubt that my ears need the
>> ultrasonic frequency response that desperately to get nice treble, I'd say
>> it's probably the filters, owing the effect you're describing and others
>> have mentioned in other threads in the past.
>
> How do I test this? Do I need to record something at the different
> samplerates, or is it sufficient to just playback some material? Can't
> say I've noticed much difference in sound quality so far, but I
> haven't been listening *very* carefully..

Just listen through your interface, and compare to what you hear
directly from a mixer (or some similar method). If it sounds much
darker through the interface at 44.1kHz, that samplerate may have been
an afterthought to the creators.

+ Sr. UNIX Systems Admin +  banging on a million typewriters will
+ James Franck Institute +  Shakespeare.  Now, thanks to the Internet,
+ Materials Research Ctr +  we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky