Re: [LAU] kernel changes -was - So what do you think sucks about Linux audio ?

From: Louis Gorenfeld <louis.gorenfeld@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Feb 10 2013 - 19:34:48 EET

I've actually seen some dramatic changes myself. I had great luck with
an ICE1724 based card, but I've noticed that multiple USB audio
devices don't perform as well on the 3.x series kernels compared to my
old trusty 2.6.33, which I realize is ancient now :) I'm wondering if
anyone else has had the same experience. It's only really noticeable
if you're pushing the CPU hard-- it's not a "set to 4x latency" kind
of thing.

But I'd say make super sure you're running at realtime priority. I
can't emphasize how much of a difference that makes. If you're unsure,
do this at a terminal:

ps -eLo cmd,rtprio | grep APPLICATION_NAME_HERE.

Check for your app and for JACK's prio.

Also, grab rtirq and run that if you haven't. I'd assume if you're
using a music-oriented distro that this is all already done.

-Louis