Re: [LAU] [LAD] So what do you think sucks about Linux audio ? OP reply.

From: Charles Z Henry <czhenry@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 11 2013 - 01:20:03 EET

On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 3:56 PM, Alexandre Prokoudine <
alexandre.prokoudine@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 1:52 AM, Charles Z Henry wrote:
>
> > I think that linux is much more well known and it's easier than ever to
> get
> > started. So--might I suggest to do something more for student outreach?
> > What do you think would make a difference?
>
> Off-top of my head, try to get involved with Google Summer of Code.
>

> The graphics folks are traditionally well represented there: Blender,
> GIMP, Krita, Inkscape, Scribus, OpenCV et al. Less so for video, and
> even less for audio.
>
> Alexandre Prokoudine

How about sponsoring good ol fashioned senior projects? Big and visible
events like Google Summer of Code will be good for some students who want a
summer project on their resumes, but there's a comparatively larger number
of students who need to do a senior project every year. Likewise the art
and music students need to create some kind of senior year portfolio or
recital.

I'm sure many of you in academics can (and do) encourage your students to
work with Linux. We may not need funding like GSOC, just some way to get
more recognition of using linux as a platform for academic projects.

Chuck