Re: [LAU] kernel changes -was - So what do you think sucks about Linux audio ?

From: Charles Z Henry <czhenry@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 11 2013 - 01:39:54 EET

On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 12:25 PM, Harry van Haaren <harryhaaren@email-addr-hiddenwrote:

> On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 5:34 PM, Louis Gorenfeld <
> louis.gorenfeld@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
>> devices don't perform as well on the 3.x series kernels compared to my
>> old trusty 2.6.33,
>>

> I used to be of the same opinion. Currently running a 3.6.11-rt kernel,
> and getting very low latencies from it, on a modest 5 year old laptop.
> We're talking 0.666 ms, while compiling a kernel, 0 xruns.

Yeah, but you're a ninja :)
I've been wanting to upgrade my kernel, but I'm a bit skeered of doing so
right now. I started working on my current project (PdCUDA) a few years
ago and am a few driver and kernel versions behind. I couldn't get rt
kernels to work with the nvidia proprietary driver (which is necessary for
me). Now, I understand that's been resolved in recent versions, but I'm
leery of making any big jumps in the kernel tree. Sounds dumb... but I'll
just wait for debian wheezy, which I presume will be a stable platform for
the next 2 years and update my system and try to tune for rt then.