Re: [LAU] [Fwd: Re: Fuck your sexism]

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Mon Feb 11 2013 - 04:46:28 EET

On Mon, 2013-02-11 at 01:40 +0000, James Harkins wrote:
> Keeping it short:
>
> - Online discussions of racism/sexism/homophobia are almost guaranteed to draw
> out idiotic comments. Those usually cluster into hypersensitivity to the issues,
> and denial of the same. Sadly, this thread is no exception.
>
> - The kind of sexism (IMO) that discourages women from being active in
> electronic music starts long before they would have anything to do with LAU. I
> recall reading about an observational study of grade school math classes, where
> the researchers tried to measure the teachers' interactions with the students,
> broken down by gender. They found, in general, that teachers paid more attention
> to boys and gave them more positive feedback than for girls. I don't remember if
> they had different results for subjects other than math, but I do remember one
> of their conclusions was that the teachers were showing a subconscious bias
> against girls wrt math. If that's so, it's a partial explanation why electronic
> music communities are so heavily male.

The truth is similar, but it's much more complex. The solution regarding
to the teacher issue is to teach boys and girls in different classes, at
least for physics and similar subjects. The resume simply is that girls
and boys are different.

> - FalkTX may have had some good reasons to choose that image, but choosing it
> was insensitive at best.

What do you feel, if you take a look at the wallpaper? I felt nothing, I
just noticed that it's no wallpaper for my taste. Now I feel confused.
I'm a heterosexual man and wonder how many men feel something that has
to do with erotic or porn, when taking a look at the wallpaper. I
suspect most of us feel the same as I did, nothing.

> Sometimes there are good reasons to be insensitive, but
> for a screen wallpaper?

How should anybody be able to foresee, that this wallpaper could excite
people that much. In the past they used hammer and chisel to remove
stone from male statues. Today they castrate more insensitive, by trying
to take libre away, by calling something sexism that has absolutely
nothing to do with sexism.