Re: [LAU] Session manager: what about?

From: brummer- <brummer-@web.de>
Date: Mon Feb 11 2013 - 21:37:36 EET

I simply didn't support it, because i never see a release of NSM.
Hermann

--
Diese Nachricht wurde von meinem Android Mobiltelefon mit WEB.DE Mail gesendet.
"J. Liles" <malnourite@email-addr-hidden> schrieb:
On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 10:36 AM, renato <rennabh@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 16:00:05 +0100
Ivan Tarozzi <itarozzi@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Any tips? Thanks!
Hi, I must admit I only tried briefly, long ago, ladish and
jack-session, and for one reason or another I dropped them...
recently though I've been trying out non session manager, and I must say
I really really like it:
pros:
+ it's dead simple but functional, I'd say it follows the KISS principle
+ nsm-proxy, which lets you use *any* application in a session
+ fast session switching for supported apps
+ supports session management over network
The only "cons" I could think of is that ATM *very* few apps support
it, but that isn't it's fault right?
I actually don't understand this situation, why so many support
jack-session but so little nsm (just look at [1] vs [2])? There
was a big discussion last year [3] and all the devs that took part in
the discussion, except Rui, agreed that it was the best session manager
for a variety of reasons... so why so little support for it?
cheers,
renato
[1] http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/apps/categories/jack_session
[2] http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/apps/categories/nsm
[3] http://www.linuxaudio.org/mailarchive/lad/2012/3/22/189119
The list of programs supporting NSM is a bit longer than the linuxaudio wiki would suggest. Still... As to the question of why so little support: Although NSM was invented before jack-session, it was not released until jack-session had been in the wild for some time. So jack-session got a bit of a head start on patching. This was simply due to the complications of life. LASH also had very few programs supporting it in its first years. To date, NSM support was implemented by yours truly in all but one of the NSM capable clients... I have a lot of projects and not a lot of time, so patching other people's software has to be on the back burner. The real issue is that session management is more of a users' problem than it is a developers' problem, so there's historically been very limited interest from developers in supporting any kind of SM, especially from developers of monolithic applications. That being said, NSM is fairly well documented and easy to implement support for, so the ball is in your court.
Even the few applications that are NSM-enabled comprise a complete studio.