Re: [LAU] Linux audio articles in LWN

From: J. Liles <malnourite@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Feb 12 2013 - 22:42:22 EET

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 6:09 AM, Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hiddenwrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Just a pointer to articles I've written to date for the Linux Weekly News.
> Their policy is to reserve initial viewing for subscribers only, but
> afterwards the articles are publicly accessible. So, for the interested
> among ye :
>
> A Brief Survey Of Linux Audio Session Managers (January 2013)
>
> http://lwn.net/Articles/**533594/ <http://lwn.net/Articles/533594/>
>
> The Synthesizers Of Sean Bolton (December 2012)
>
> http://lwn.net/Articles/**527556/ <http://lwn.net/Articles/527556/>
>
> 21st Century Csound (November 2012)
>
> http://lwn.net/Articles/**523166/ <http://lwn.net/Articles/523166/>
>
> A Tale Of Two Sequencers [harmonySeq and Softwerk] (October 2012)
>
> http://lwn.net/Articles/**520348/ <http://lwn.net/Articles/520348/>
>
> Keeping Up With Kdenlive (September 2012)
>
> http://lwn.net/Articles/**516016/ <http://lwn.net/Articles/516016/>
>
> The Linux Audio Workstation, parts 1 & 2 (August 2012)
>
> http://lwn.net/Articles/**509958/ <http://lwn.net/Articles/509958/>
> http://lwn.net/Articles/**510046/ <http://lwn.net/Articles/510046/>
>
> A Survey Of Linux Audio Plugins (June 2012)
>
> http://lwn.net/Articles/**502183/ <http://lwn.net/Articles/502183/>
>
> A Report From LAC2012 (May 2012)
>
> http://lwn.net/Articles/**495612/ <http://lwn.net/Articles/495612/>
>
> Interesting to note how quickly things evolve in the Linux world. Stuff I
> wrote only a few months ago is already outdated by development trends. Keep
> up the good work, devs !
>
> Anyway, enjoy, and your comments are welcome.
>
> Best,
>
> dp

Clearly, there remains a lot of work to be done on documentation of the Non
project to prevent people from vastly underestimating the extent of its
capabilities. However, it always strikes me that, even though the present
documentation is brief and to the point, no one ever seems to read it. I
wonder what makes features so much less 'secret' and 'hidden' in projects
like Ardour... Apparently spelling them out in the documentation still too
secretive. I'm sure this sounds critical, but now I'm being perfectly
serious: It's helpful to how and why people have trouble finding
information. The best way to have your questions answered is to ask, and
I'm always available.

One actual criticism, though: This is partly my fault to due the
unfortunate difficulty of naming things, but it isn't fair at all to
compare Non-DAW (the program) to Ardour or QTractor and to say that Non-DAW
doesn't support plugins, etc. It's a modular system. The whole suite
comprises a DAW, while you refer to one component. Non-DAW should really be
named Non-Non-Linear-Audio-Arranger or something, but that's hardly a
catchy name and there's not much I can do about it now.

Still, thanks for the mention! I didn't know these articles ever existed
until now.