Re: [LAU] So what do you think sucks about Linux audio ?

From: Al Thompson <althompson58@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Feb 13 2013 - 01:08:36 EET

On 02/12/2013 10:12 AM, Louigi Verona wrote:
> As for your question, as to how will people make a living who do IP only?
> Consider an analogy which is brought up often.
> Say, there is a culture where women are being forced to marry men that
> their
> family chooses. As you know, in many countries around the world in the
> past
> this was standard stuff.
> And now imagine someone saying that this is wrong and brings in his
> argumentation.
> And someone says - well, then how will my sister get married?
>
> Or if you are against slavery, someone will tell you - well, then how
> will the work
> in this country be done if there are no slaves? Who will want to do it?
>
> The real question is - I don't know. All I know is that forced
> marriage/slavery/copyright are wrong and here are
> my arguments.
> I don't see a problem with that position.

The difference is that in your marriage example, and in slavery, the
person is forced against his will to comply. The woman is forced into
it, the slave is also forced.

Work will get done when those who need the work will pay a reasonable wage.
Women will get married when they find someone to whom they are attracted
and who is attracted to them.

A composer is not forced. He can choose how to release his works. He
can copyright them and expect to profit from any sales, or he can
release into the public domain and expect nothing. Or, he can release
using one of the alternate licensing schemes and hope that people will
compensate him for his property.

It's not too unlike a guy who pays for materials and training, and then
builds a house. In deciding what to do with his house, he can:

1) charge people $500/month to live in it
2) let people live in it for free
3) tell people that they can live in it and give him some money if they
want to and can afford it

> As pointed out on my site, producing IP is necessary. How will people
> get paid?
> In various different ways. Just like they get paid now. In Russia
> copyright law is
> not enforced that much, yet Russia has scientists, composers, actors
> and movie directors.
> So they must be getting paid somehow.

How much of this is still state-sponsored in Russia?

--
---
My bands, CD projects, music, news, and pictures:

My blog, with commentary on a variety of things, including audio,
mixing, equipment, etc, is at:
   http://audioandmore.wordpress.com

Staat heißt das kälteste aller kalten Ungeheuer.  Kalt lügt es auch;
und diese Lüge kriecht aus seinem Munde: 'Ich, der Staat, bin das Volk.'
                                                - [Friedrich Nietzsche]