Re: [LAU] Changerd: Copyright laws and such

From: drew Roberts <zotz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Feb 13 2013 - 16:41:33 EET

On Tuesday 12 February 2013 19:01:39 Al Thompson wrote:
> On 02/12/2013 06:25 PM, drew Roberts wrote:
> >> A copyright prevents you from recording a song, or creating sheet
> >> music, and providing copies to others. The "right of copying" remains
> >> with the author/composer.
> >
> > So does the right of public performance, right? Does performing while
> > walking down the street not count? What about a marching band?
>
> Well, I do know that marching bands pay licensing fees.

But the single guy walking down the street whistling the tune does not have
to?

What about two friends then?

What is the magic number where it changes from being:

"Don't be such a fool, of course copyright does not restrict that!"

to:

"Don't be such a fool, of course it is stealing if they do that without paying
the songwriter!"

all the best,

drew