Re: [LAU] So what do you think sucks about Linux audio ?

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Thu Feb 14 2013 - 16:49:15 EET

On Thu, 2013-02-14 at 06:08 -0800, briandc wrote:
> free linux music concerts!!

Somebody, at least the musician, has to pay the strings etc., even if
the location should be for free.

I always wonder what "music done with Linux" does mean.

Usually guitars are from Gibsanez and drums are from Perwig, mixers are
from Studeve and speakers are from Genetone etc. and if you record all
this with e.g. Ardour, than I would call it "music made with Gibsanez,
Perwig, Studeve, Genetone and Ardour (Linux version)".

I guess not that many people really make music just with a studio in a
box and even when using a virtual keyboard, at least some speakers are
needed that aren't Linux.

Interesting IMO is, that for music made with the studio in the box, when
done with Apple or Microsoft, while having billions of instruments and
effects in the end all only use the same few instruments and effects
from this billions. That's not bad, it's not different to using guitars
and _real_ keyboards, but it's strange that they all use it in the same
way. Nearly all modern recordings are mixed in the same style, do use
the instruments and effects in the same way.

So now my question. What exactly is missing for people who want a
complete studio in the box comparable with Apple and Microsoft.

I guess Linux does need, without judging possible usage and it doesn't
mean that I need it:
auto-tune
a different kind of vocoder
reverbs (I don't know if there are god reverbs for Appple and Microsoft,
at least I guess Linux reverbs can't compare with 19" gear)
lightweight, but anyway excellent multi-band compressor as plugin (I
once used one comparable to JAMin, but not nearly causing that much
load)
EQs (I disagree that they are all the same)

I'm not missing this, as mentioned before, I'm missing hardware support,
some sequencer options, such as muting clips for Qtractor ;) and sync,
e.g. the possibility to have something like jack transport, that enables
loop play. And a better audio quality, IOW no audio jitter, no xruns,
digital copies without issues, for what reason ever there are issues, I
guess one issue was (is) the order of jack IOs when looping an audio
signal from the output of an app to it's input.