Re: [LAU] Some new Bach

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Thu Feb 14 2013 - 17:58:30 EET

On Thu, 2013-02-14 at 14:54 +0000, James Harkins wrote:
> Perhaps that's why I bristle when someone suggests that analytical listening
> kills the magic. For me, it brings the music even more to life.

I suspect that musicians are nearly unable to listen to music without
being aware what each instrument plays individually and how they fit
together. We lose the ability to listen to it as a whole, in the sense
of two lines become one line. "The whole" in the sense of all
instruments become one instrument still works.

I've heard music from Bach, played by a few musicians, that I like, but
I heard that some musicians supposedly should play Bach by very free
interpretations on very special instruments.