Re: [LAU] Audio distros

From: James Stone <jamesmstone@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Feb 16 2013 - 15:34:00 EET

On Feb 16, 2013 6:02 AM, "Ralf Mardorf" <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net> wrote:

> Not this again ;)!
>
> My apologies, but I'm searching for a distro comparable to old Arch Linux
or old Ubuntu Studio.

> For another thread Gene was talking about "black magic" and indeed some
"things" are "occult" in the sense of "hidden" ;). FWIW, all ADAT channels
of my RME card, that aren't working for Linux, are working for my FreeBSD.
The Xfce menu icon of FreeBSD only, is replaced by a pentagram, for me it's
just some kind of asterisk, without any super cow powers, but perhaps this
does the magic. The next Xfce install will get the same icon ;D.

> I dropped my old Arch, regarding to too many issues with the unfinished
switch to systemd.
> Following the mailing list I had the impression, that the transition is
complete and that there are no serious issues any more, but trying to
install it yesterday, I suspect that mails regarding to issues simply are
rejected.

> I still try to install the current Arch Linux later today, but seemingly
the transition to systemd isn't finished yet and perhaps the next wicked
transition already will be enforced in a hidden way. Just an assumption, I
don't claim that it is that way.

> While my request regarding to pppoe for the install doesn't pass list
moderation, eth0 isn't up and doing it as usual doesn't work, I read rude
words about request to keep Wayland optional. It seems to be, that some
people using X anyway need to install Wayland.

> Fortunately there's a German Arch Linux forum, where it's still possible
to get help, but I also need clarification in what direction Arch Linux
will go in the near future and I prefer a distro with a sane mailing list.

> Debian and Ubuntu still have good mailing lists, but as for Ubuntu Studio
I have several generations installed, from 10.10 Maverick to 12.10 Quantal.
The performance on my machine dramatically slows down with each release.
Quantal for some tasks already is unusable, a lot of the non-audio desktop
apps I need are buggy and this isn't an issue for my machine, but the
troubles are common, for many users.

Out of interest, what problems do you have with ubuntu studio? I have found
it to be by far the easiest to set up out of the box with no major bugs so
far..

Things were getting slow on my 10 yr old computer, but that mainly seemed
to be due to the ever increasing "richness" (bloat) on web-based content..
not an ubuntu issue as far as I could see.. had the same performance issues
with debian sid.

James