Re: [LAU] Audio distros

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Sat Feb 16 2013 - 17:53:36 EET

Hi :)

first off all, it might be another thread, I was to fast with deleting
mail from a temporary storage, but by one of the mails I was asked
regarding to my ambivalent claims, regarding to NVIDIA and ATI. The FLOSS
driver's name is radeon. I won't explain this ambivalence right now,
interpret it as "there are drawbacks by graphics of both vendors, but
there's no alternative for my purse".

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 15:38:01 +0100, Joe Hartley <jh@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Were you trying to install a new system or update an existing one?

The existing one was a mess, thanks to "the transition", so I deleted the
old install and I want to set up a new install.

_Fedora_ btw. is a distro I won't run, because I don't like to handle
RPMs, I still have Sues 11.2 and started using Linux with Suse 9.0. I
prefer pacman, followed by DEB.

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 10:50:53 +0100, Folderol <folderol@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> For some time now, and for work as well as home office & DAW, I install
> the absolutely minimum debian

That is something I'll test too, but while I'm only able to maintain
around two installs, I'm also limited to the amount of distros I seriously
can test, so for now I'll test Arch Linux, assumed installing Arch should
work. Fortunately the German Forums are ok. IMO it's a drawback that the
mailing list is badly moderated.

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 14:34:00 +0100, James Stone <jamesmstone@email-addr-hidden>
wrote:
> Out of interest, what problems do you have with ubuntu studio?

It's buggy as hell, the LTS still is ok, but Quantal already is a PITA and
Ubuntu seems to go a way, I'm not willing to go. I'm not interested in app
shops, Amazon etc.. Even if you can't find it for Ubuntu Studio, it's
based on a distro that does go this way. FWIW Quantal from the Ubuntu
Studio install media is more buggy, than Quantal from the Ubuntu install
media + Xfce and the studio meta packages on my machine.

Regards,
Ralf