Re: [LAU] Audiophile 24/96 volume weirdness

From: Q <lists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Feb 16 2013 - 20:11:11 EET

On 16/02/13 16:37, Len Ovens wrote:

> I don't think that should affect mudita as you probably didn't run it
when
> you had no /home.

Ah okay, that makes sense. Yes, I just logged in, edited fstab and
rebooted straightaway.

> I don't think that should affect mudita as you probably didn't run it when
> you had no /home. In any case you should be able to adjust everything with
> either mudita or even alsamixer. The kernel module for the ice1712 can be
> loaded with a commandline parameter saying which card you have. Is it
> possible the module thinks you have a different card?

I've only ever had the 24/96 but I guess that's no guarantee that the
module thinks I have the right card. How would I check this?

>>> Depending on the version of mudita the config file is in either
>>> ~/envy24control/profiles.conf or ~/.envy24control/profiles.conf. Newer
>>> versions have the file in .envy24control, I think the placement in
>>> envy24control was just a mistake in version 1.0.
>>>

>> I have none of those.
>
> Those only show up if you use the save profile part of mudita. They should
> not effect the operation of your card though, You should still be able to
> turn everything on.

Okay, I've never bothered saving different profiles. Which prompts the
question in my mind, if there's no saved settings/profile, why is this
volume issue happening? I'd kinda assumed that somehow something had
been saved with the right channel volume muted (although the DAC2 fader
doesn't show this) and I was having to counter this.

>> I think the right-channel volume thing started around the same time that
>> I lost all SPDIF output from the 24/96, which is really annoying. I
>> swapped the cables over and that made no difference (and it didn't
>> affect input to the card, i.e. both cables are fine), neither did
>> swapping the card for another.
>>
>> In the end I put it down to the DAC in my Focusrite TwinTrak having died
>> (although I haven't investigated this further) and have had to put up
>> with analogue out of the 24/96 ever since. If this also turned out to be
>> a software issue and could be fixed I'd be overjoyed.
>
> You should be able to test your s/pdif out by looping it back into the
> s/pdif in. As soon as you do that, the "Hardware Settings tab in mudita
> should show IEC958 Input Status - Input Active. You can run some audio
> through as a further check, but I am assuming your Focusrite is not
> indicating input signal (some LED or something).

I'm positive the SPDIF out works because the problem didn't go away when
I swapped the 24/96 for another one (I have a third one lying around
somewhere that I could try!). I'd not thought about looping the cable
back, but I might give it a try just to confirm.

The Focusrite has no indicator unfortunately.

Interestingly, the Hardware Settings tab says "Unable to read IEC958
Input Status: No such file or directory", but I've never had any
problems with the SPDIF out from the Focusrite/SPDIF input on the 24/96.

Connecting the SPDIF in and out hasn't changed the "unable to read"
message on the Hardware Settings tab but did seem to cause my system to
lock up.

> I would look at the "Patchbay / Router" Tab in mudita And start with the
> whole top row selected just to make sure something isn't funny there. It
> sounds like you normally would have your s/pdif outs set to Digital Mix
> which should also be ok. But setting things up with the mixer out of
> things and just straight I/Os might be the best starting point for trouble
> shooting.

When I first lost sound output, I tried all possible combinations in the
patchbay and nothing made any difference. I've tried again now
(unplugging the analogue outputs of course so that I could hear if it
were working!) and no selection for SPDIF outputs results in sound.

Having swapped the card itself, the breakout cable and the SPDIF cable
all to no effect was why I jumped to the conclusion that it was the
Focusrite's DAC that had failed.

Many thanks