[LAU] Debian sid Re: Audio distros

From: Andreas Kuckartz <A.Kuckartz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Feb 17 2013 - 08:14:47 EET

Simon Wise:
> On 16/02/13 14:40, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 07:14:12 +0100, david <gnome@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>>> No clue how they'll do. I prefer Debian Sid
>
>> Debian Sid might be ok, I just have no good feelings regarding to the
>> state
>> "unstable".
>
> in Debian unstable means changing (4 times a day I think), stable means
> frozen ... i.e. you have the choice of a version with very current
> packages (obviously also somewhat less tested) or one which is very much
> more tested but based on a freeze that was 6 months ago when it is first
> released, up to 30 months ago by the time it is replaced by next stable
> version.

There is also Debian testing somewhere in between. And there is Debian
CUT ("Constantly Usable Testing), which essentially is a rolling release
consisting of Debian testing snapshots:
http://cut.debian.net/

Unfortunately they have decided to pause that project until Debian
Wheezy is released.

I hope that a Debian sid based rolling release will be developed some
time in the near future within the Debian project. Maybe Debian CUU
(Constantly Usable Unstable) or CUS (Constantly Usable Sid).

But you can already get something very similar by installing Debian
stable, configuring sid repositories and upgrading frequently. But
expect to spend some time repairing something in the system every few
months - another reason to make backups.

Cheers,
Andreas