Re: [LAU] Renaming/aliasing ALSa sequencer hardware clients

From: Clemens Ladisch <clemens@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Feb 17 2013 - 23:00:56 EET

Julien Claassen wrote:
> Can I rename/alias ALSA sequencer hardware ports?

No.

The names of sequencer ports are controlled only by the sequencer
client (application/driver) itself.

> I'm looking for this, because I have a couple of USB devices
> registering as "USB MIDI cable something" and that is a) long and
> b) not very helpful.

You could use the "Midi Through" ports of the snd-seq-dummy driver and
connect the hardware ports from/to those. Use the "ports" parameter
to get more than one port. (These names are neither short nor helpful,
but at least unique.)

It would be possible to write your own tool that behaves like the
snd-seq-dummy driver but allows customizing the port names.

Regards,
Clemens