Re: [LAU] So what do you think sucks about Linux audio ?

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Mon Feb 18 2013 - 13:47:07 EET

On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 12:34:34 +0100, Rustom Mody <rustompmody@email-addr-hidden>
wrote:
> Yeah I am surprised no ones mentioned pulseaudio yet

Simply because people who don't like pulseaudio, don't use it ;).
For non of my Linux pulseaudio is installed, this does include many Ubuntu
installs.

> My own experience: About 3-4 years ago it was so bad I switched from
> ubuntu to debian.

Understandable, but useless, since they made it a hard dependency too and
doing this is comparable to buying a new car, when it's tank is empty.

If you don't want PA installed on your Linux, but you want to use packages
that hard depend to PA and you won't recompile gnome-settings-daemon and
what ever else now might depend to it, then build a dummy-package.

For your DEB based distros, you can do it with equivs.
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-helpers.en.html

For a default Ubuntu Studio you can simply remove pulseaudio, no need to
recompile something or to build an empty dummy package, that fakes that PA
is installed.