Re: [LAU] The Psychology of Music

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 18 2013 - 21:05:28 EET

On 02/18/2013 07:38 AM, Alf Haakon Lund wrote:
> On 08. feb. 2013 14:55, Stephen Stubbs wrote:
>> On 2/8/2013 1:43 AM, david wrote:
>>> http://visual.ly/psychology-music?utm_source=visually_embed
>>>
>> So now we have quantitative proof that the Ancient Greeks' views on
>> music were correct.
>>
>> Music is not an art but a science, with well defined laws that enable
>> the musician to induce specific effects and emotions in the listener.
>>
>> Refer to:
>> On Music in Three Books, by Aristides Quintilianus
>> Translation, with Introduction, Commentary, and Annotations by Thomas J
>> Mathiesen
>> 1983, Yale University Press
>> ISBN 0-300-02893-8
>>
>> 'The Other' Stephen Stubbs
>> Champaign, IL USA
>
> This made me want to recommend Musicophilia - Tales of Music and the
> Brain - by Oliver Sacks.
> ISBN 978-0-330-52359-2

Excellent book!

> And while music certainly can be viewed as 'science' there's no doubt in
> my mind that it also rightfully can be viewed as 'art' - those two are
> not mutually exclusive!

Art has been rooted in technology for thousands of years. Present day
art is saturated with technology (pigments and binders for paints,
ingredients of ceramic glazes).

And a list such as LAU, which has many members making sounds
algorithmically using tones generated by mathematical equations,
certainly can't claim to be purely "art" and not not "technology".

--
David
gnome@email-addr-hidden