Re: [LAU] Basic question about use of a lowlatency kernel

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Feb 19 2013 - 00:59:30 EET

On Mon, February 18, 2013 12:36 pm, jonetsu@email-addr-hidden wrote:
> If a better response time from the kernel is something that's Good, why
> isn't lowlatency kernels a default in Linux distros (well, at least in
> Linux Mint and Fedora) If it is So Good, what are the arguments for not
> having a lowlatency kernel by default ? Any drawbacks ? I presume the
> Audio-oriented Linux distros do have lowlatency kernels by default, do
> they ?

low latency does not equal performance.
low latency and high throughput are not the same either.

Low latency means servicing an audio device more often, complete with the
overhead involved in that. It means prioritizing one set of RT/lowlatency
processes over others for a set purpose. when running audio at a low
latency, the rest of my desktop slows down a lot to make sure my audio
does not glitch.

Low latency is a different set of priorities than performance.

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net