Re: [LAU] Basic question about use of a lowlatency kernel

From: Arve Barsnes <arve.barsnes@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Feb 19 2013 - 15:22:35 EET

On 19 February 2013 13:36, Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 3:16 AM, Simon Wise <simonzwise@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>> aside from the other things mentioned there is a trade-off between GUI
>> responsiveness and audio latency ... if you do the full rt-audio set-up then
>> the programs you set as very high priority can easily lock everything else
>> out. T
>

> on modern systems this is unlikely to be the case any more. (a) multicore
> (b) kernel mechanisms to reserve a (small) fraction of available CPU for
> non-RT tasks.

Indeed, I've had the same basic setup for a number of years, and this
month was the first time I noticed any slowdown in the rest of my
system while doing audio, and only now because I was working on a
session with a number of tracks and plugins far beyond most stuff I've
worked on before. The quadcore has been good to me for a long time.

Arve