Re: [LAU] The Psychology of Music

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Feb 19 2013 - 16:23:25 EET

On Tue, February 19, 2013 6:14 am, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 8:57 AM, Stephen Stubbs
> <fartreader@email-addr-hiddenwrote:
>

>> {Stephen}: The Ancient Greeks did not have major keys nor minor keys.
>> The 'modes' used by the Medieval European monks were not the same as the
>> original modes of the Ancient Greeks. A great deal was lost in the
>> translation, or perhaps it was due to fragmentary sources.
>>

> http://www.huygens-fokker.org/scala/
>
> specifically: http://www.huygens-fokker.org/docs/scalesdir.txt
>
> You will find that there are over 4000 diferent scales there.
>
> the notion that there are only a handful of scales can be a moderately
> accurate as a description of typical musical practice at a given point in
> time in a given culture.
>
> but on the other hand it also is a wildly inaccurate and simplistic idea
> that robs humanity of a good part of its cultural heritage.

Another point that is easy to forget is that (at least with physical sound
producing devices such as acoustic instruments, but also speaker cabs) the
same tune in a different key sounds different just because of the
resonances. I find often times a singer changes the key of a tune to work
with their voice and the song is no longer the same.

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net