Re: [LAU] Basic question about use of a lowlatency kernel

From: michael noble <looplog@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Feb 20 2013 - 12:26:13 EET

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 6:52 PM, Tim Goetze <tim@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> If you're not doing anything funky (and you'd have to go out of your
> way to)

My understanding is that the latency measure displayed by JACK is for one
cycle of the entire JACK graph (or something like that). That means apps in
a standard linear signal chain won't add extra latency. It also means you
don't have to be that funky to add extra latency - just put a loop anywhere
in your signal chain (eg. a send from Ardour to an external jack app and
back into Ardour). The audio won't be processed by the client at the loop
point until the next execution cycle, effectively adding a full cycle of
latency at that point in the signal chain.

At least, that's how I think it was patiently explained to me a while back.