Re: [LAU] The Psychology of Music

From: Rustom Mody <rustompmody@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Feb 21 2013 - 06:02:08 EET

On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 9:09 AM, Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden
> wrote:

> On Thu, February 21, 2013 2:10 pm, Rustom Mody wrote:
>
> > Personally I can say that after I got my keyboards with a handful of
> > tunings a new world has opened to me. If only I could have done some of
> > that with timidity/fluidsynth...
> >

> Do you mean you would like to have a keyboard app that has preset
> sample/tuning for various different scales?
>
> It's certainly possible to create your own now but I haven;t come across
> an app that takes on that functionality yet.
>
> It might be a nice addition to CMKeyboard if someone else hasn't already
> started/finished.

One of my major uses is to teach a class singing with a score software like
nted or musescore. [Or else I am at the piano]

My attempts are more than a few years old so my memory is foggy...
timidity has some tuning support poorly documented.
It has some 3 ways of re-tuning -- pitch-bend, and 2 'batch-modes's -- the
details I forget
The pitch bend sounded horrible and different on linux and windows.
The two 'batch-modes' -- the sysex option (if thats what its called) I
could not figure out at all. The 'load-a-scala-file' seemed to work
somewhat but I could not figure out some parameters.

Fluidsynth I could not make any sense of.
My problem is that I was brought up on an (old) steinway. So when a
software is built analogically to some hardware that is assumed to be
familiar to all, I dont know where to start...

[I am off tomorrow to a camp where I am musician/music teacher. So I may
reply after 10 days. Hope thats ok]

Rusi

--
http://www.the-magus.in