Re: [LAU] The Psychology of Music

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Thu Feb 21 2013 - 17:08:58 EET

On Thu, 2013-02-21 at 05:56 -0500, jonetsu@teksavvy.com wrote:
> Le 20-02-2013 19:57, Ralf Mardorf a écrit :
>
> > Don’t get me wrong, there’s nothing bad with playing chess, but it’s
> > just a game and playing chess doesn’t give super cow powers.
> > Being active does train our creativity, brains and muscles.
> > Questionable if boxing or playing chess, is the more active
> > exertion.
>
> There are internal and external energies. Cultivating both is probably
> the best.
>
> > There’s also nothing bad with inland water fishing. Also called a
> > sport, but a sport with being less active.
>
> Holding stances for a long period of time is another form of training
> for the body. That's not the case with inland fishing, though. ;-)
>
> > The rule is: "You snooze, you lose." It’s not important what we
> > like to do, it’s important that we do something.
>
> Cardiovascular and muscular training benefits also from internal energy
> training. The problem with the philosophy of 'doing something' is that
> any internal energy training can be considering as doing nothing. Then
> there's no balance between internal and external. It's all go-go-go on
> the outside.
>
> > Listening to music A isn’t better, than listening to music B. Doing
> > X isn’t better than doing Y. Where do all this claims come from?
>
> Robert Fripp, for one, did experiments with effects of sound on people.
> Some frequencies will trigger body and mind responses. At a certain
> level, yes, the music that is listened-to can have an influence on the
> person and then it matters. At the taste level it's something else, but
> at the physical level it can vry well be that certain frequencies and
> certain rythms actually have an effect.
>
> > Some people playing chess are creative others aren’t, it has less to
> > do with playing chess.
>
> Yes, same with music. I still do not know how to qualify this. I all
> kinds of music as long as there's *something* in it. I think that
> something has to do with the creative spirit. Or something. I find
> some music boring and other music not boring.
>
> Some people also go by the masses. If it's popular, then it's good.
> Some people will not listen to music that is unknown, or too foreign.
> In these cases, the mind, the psychology, plays a role in 'appreciation'
> of music. Although when the role is so heavy, I'm not sure if
> 'appreciation' is the right word at all ;-) 'Furniture' could be more
> suitable. Some people have music as a furniture in their life ;-)

I agree with your reply. Btw. as we all know, sound and light can be
used as a weapon, but I won't call this sound music. It's said that deep
frequencies can cause hallucinations, I didn't verify this by serious
books or self-tests.

I guess in "Hannah and her Sisters" somebody wanted to buy a painting
that fit's to the sofa. IMO this is _averaged_ usage of art.

Regards,
Ralf