Re: [LAU] light weight, full featured desktop for audio

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Feb 22 2013 - 10:47:29 EET

On 02/21/2013 03:38 PM, Brett McCoy wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 8:24 PM, Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
>>> dwm has both idiosyncrasies and a learning curve, but so too do most
>>> "expert" pieces of software. vim and emacs are the canonical examples,
>>
>> I never did get anywhere with those two. Ed and Vi mostly, though I think
>> I have forgotten most of it. I found joe and used it ever after... it's
>> still my main CLI text ed.
>
> I think I frighten people at work because I *still* use emacs for all
> of my editing tasks...

Both vi and emacs are powerful pieces of software. They are *not*
designed to be user friendly to anyone else. (Anymore than Wordstar was
in it's day.)

Being hard to learn doesn't make something an "expert" piece of software
- unless you're talking about a *field* that requires lots of expertise
such as rocket science. Text editing isn't rocket science. A text editor
shouldn't be as hard to learn as rocket science. ;-)

--
David
gnome@email-addr-hidden