[LAU] Interoperability between session management systems

From: Johannes Kroll <jkroll@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Feb 23 2013 - 18:01:30 EET

A couple of days ago, I tried out non-session-manager, and thought,
this is really nice. It really works in a practical, easy way.
Unfortunately the number of apps supporting non-session is quite small
(as is the case for *all* session management systems, AFAIK). There may
be "a complete audio studio" supporting non-session, from one choice of
sequencer to one synth to one sampler, but people like to use their
favorite software. You can't just say, "if you want to use a sequencer,
use X because it supports non-session". So its usefulness is limited.

However, many apps support one session management framework or the
other. So the obvious thing to do if you want to give people more
choices would be to create some kind of interoperability layer between
session management systems.

What do you think about this? Is there an effort for something like
this already underway? I personally think a good first step might be to
create some compatibility between non-session (because I like it) and
jack-session (because most people are using jack).