Re: [LAU] Jack users - how many channels do you want with PA module-jackdbus-detect?

From: Kaj Ailomaa <zequence@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Feb 27 2013 - 15:05:40 EET

On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 13:54:12 +0100, Mac <ussndmac@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> I happen to agree. If there are x PA devices on my MOBO, I want to see
> x of them in JACK.

Not sure if we're talking about the same thing here. I wasn't suggesting
we make devices not show. Only that the module connecting PA to jack would
be stereo by default.

> I am one of the "few" mentioned in one post who have a 12 chan.
> firewire device as well as the devices on the mobo. I have a tri-amp'd
> stereo using a variety of JACK apps such as CALFrack and zita-lrx.
> (hopefully quad-amp'd and surround in the future)
>
> When I installed UBStudio 12.04 I was glad to see that PA just created
> the sink/sources in JACK and I didn't have to go figure something out.
> It's quite nice to be able to patch things around from the PA devices.
>
> I have yet to configure a surround sound system and have not seen
> anything showing up labeled as front, side rear, etc. (Is there a
> surround sound app? Do any of the apps that will play a dvd or bluray
> on a PC provide surround? Haven't attempted it yet, just askin.)

Are you saying you would be using jack through you firewire device to get
surround, instead of what I would assume you have, an onboard device that
also has surround support directly with PA?
Why use jack for that?