Re: [LAU] Jack users - how many channels do you want with PA module-jackdbus-detect?

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 01 2013 - 01:29:35 EET

On Thu, February 28, 2013 2:48 pm, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 02:30:32PM -0800, Len Ovens wrote:
>
>> No matter what pulse defaults to in channel numbers, it will always
>> allow
>> configuring to as many channels as the device supports if the default is
>> not what the user wants.
>
> I hope it can be configured as well to just create its Jack ports and
> NOT connect them to whatever device Jack is using, leaving this to
> the user.

Yes that has been available for some time.

in /etc/pulse/default.pa there is a line like:

load-module module-jackdbus-detect

Change it to:

load-module module-jackdbus-detect connect=no

And pulse will not auto connect. I have had this set on my system and a
jack session set up to just connect what I want.

The number of channels Pulse bridges has quite a large effect on cpu use.

> This is required if any processing is done before the signal goes
> to the hardware (room correction or EQ, crossover filters, etc.).
> It is also required if PA is providing e.g. a telephone signal
> which probably should connect to a SW mixer and not directly to
> the HW output.

I agree.

The pa-jack bridge is still in development, though I think it is not that
near the top of the list of priorities :) The channels=x parameter is in
git I am told, but not in the release packages I am aware of.

There is also some talk about moving the package system defaults to
/usr/share so that a distro can drop it's own config file into /etc/pulse
without over writing the package defaults. There is also ~/.config/pulse/
where a user could add this. Though to be honest I am not sure how.

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net