Re: [LAU] Building Audio from a Server Core?

From: Jeremy Jongepier <jeremy@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 01 2013 - 10:31:23 EET

On 02/28/2013 04:00 AM, grekimj@email-addr-hidden wrote:
> This would be for the sole purpose of audio, and GUI-less ones at that. I also like the idea of being able to carry a studio on a flash drive...sort of amazing. Another machine would have Ardour etc. I
> came across the "server core" terminology from the Lubuntu alternate downloads area.

I think you're confusing "server core" and the "lubuntu-core" package.
Lubuntu doesn't have a server edition.

  So, my impression was a server system is a bit more raw and basic than
a desktop system and going with a "core"
> version of that would be almost as basic as it gets. I know there are distros tuned for audio, but I honestly don't like all the extra stuff I don't need.

lubuntu-core is indeed a very minimal Ubuntu install with a minimal LXDE
desktop environment. It's my current preferred way to set things up,
first do a minimal Ubuntu install and then install the lubuntu-core
package and move on from there.

>>> I installed Lubuntu server core to a usb flash
>> drive. I added myself to
>> Ok, this looks like just adding audio SW. Take a look at the
>> ubuntustudiometas with whatever SW installer you use. (synaptic would be easiest I
>> tihnk) You most likey do not want the -desktop, icons or settings, just
>> the audio related ones. Though it may be just as easy to choose the
>> appsyou want.
>>
>>> the audio group, but my usb Audiobox does not
>> seem to be working,> although it is recognised with aplay -l. Should
>> it work without any> additional steps?
>>
>> Working? Meaning what? Does lubuntu use pulse like most of the other
>> *buntus? Have you set your USB card as the default sound device with
>> pavucontrol? Which application are you playing audio on? If the machine
>> you are using has an internal card, that would be the default, not your
>> USB card. Are the levels raised in the alsa mixer? Not muted?
>>

> I noticed when running my software that the playback variables are set correctly through Alsa calls, but the record ones are not.

Which software and variables are you referring to?

  It's just the first time the (Presonus) Audiobox has not initialized
properly
> on probably a dozen systems I have tried it on. I'm assuming the kernel should be the same between a server and a desktop.

What did you actually install? What is the output of uname -a on the
machine on which the Presonus doesn't work?

Jeremy