Re: [LAU] Issues with JACK

From: Jeremy Jongepier <jeremy@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Mar 03 2013 - 14:04:40 EET

On 03/03/2013 11:47 AM, Gabbe Nord wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm experiencing some weird issues with JACK. I got a new system the other
> day, and I'm tweaking it for linux audio only basically. My issues are:
> even when dsp load isn't even close to 100%, I get xruns. This only happens
> at lower latencies, but still. My setup is as follows :
>
> Kxstudio 12.04.2
> 3.2 realtime kernel (tried lowlatency and generic aswell)
> Usb sound card Lexicon Omega
> Realtimeconfig quickscan shows everything green except cpu governors, but
> I'm pretty sure I don't have that on this system? It's an Intel i5 3570k
> desktop. Or maybe there's some setting in BIOS equivalent of cpu governors?
> If so that might very well be the problem.

Hello Gabbe,

You can check what governor is in use with:
cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor

And set it to a non-scaling governor with:
echo -n performance | sudo tee
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor

You can also disable it in your BIOS, it's probably called something
like SpeedStep. More info:
http://wiki.linuxmusicians.com/doku.php?id=system_configuration#cpu_frequency_scaling

> I use JACK at 48khz 3 periods/buffer. I start it via falktx's Cadence.
>
> Any ideas about this?

Please post the output of:
cat /proc/interrupts

> Also! When I'm asking for help anyway... I connect my MIDI keyboard via
> MIDI in on my sound card, but that suddenly stopped working. The midi out
> from the sound card is present in JACK, but it delivers no midi. Any idea
> on where to start troubleshooting this?

Did you try other USB ports? Or issueing a:
sudo alsa force-reload
Does that help?

Regards,

Jeremy