Re: [LAU] Alsa and 24-bit in Ubuntu Studio?

From: Peder Hedlund <peder@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Mar 05 2013 - 09:35:41 EET

Quoting Grekim Jennings <grekimj@email-addr-hidden>:

> Okay, thank you. I just find it strange that my non-audio Debian
> Squeeze system will play it and an actual audio distro will not.

Does your Squeeze and Studio box have similar sound cards?
While "aplay --help" lists S24_LE and S24_BE as recognized sample
formats it also says "Some of these may not be available on selected
hardware".

If aplay works on Squeeze it might be that the sound card on that box
supports 24bit but your card on Studio doesn't. I'm guessing
sndfile-play converts the output to whatever the card wants.

On a side note asound happily plays ordinary text files, like /etc/services .
Erik, when can we expect sndfile-play to do that :)

- Peder