Re: [LAU] External USB 2 HD for real-time recording

From: Peder Hedlund <peder@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Mar 09 2013 - 19:49:44 EET

Quoting Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>:

The previous reply was due to a trigger happy Send finger, sorry about that...

>> An obvious workaround would be having a cron job doing a 'touch
>> TempFile' or something similar on the disk once every 5 minutes or so.
>
> Would that actually touch the disk or just the copy of the temp file in
> the ram buffers?

Initially it would only hit the cache but I think it's be written to
disk within the remaining five minutes.
You could issue a 'sync' but I'm not sure a forced sync during, say, a
recording would be the proper thing to do, since it syncs all cached
data on all disks.

Another option would be to do a 'dd if=/dev/zero of=TestFile bs=1k
count=1 conv=fdatasync' to make sure the data gets written to disk
immediately (http://romanrm.ru/en/dd-benchmark).

- Peder