Re: [LAU] External USB 2 HD for real-time recording

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Mar 10 2013 - 12:32:20 EET

On 03/09/2013 07:31 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sun, 2013-03-10 at 02:58 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> #!/bin/sh
>> # /usr/local/sbin/no-spind
>> count=0
>> echo 0 >/run/media/rocketmouse/u1.1tmp/.no-spind.counter
>> while lsusb -d 1058: >/dev/null; do
>> sleep 300; ((count++))
>> echo $count >/run/media/rocketmouse/u1.1tmp/.no-spind.counter
>> done
>> exit
>
> This does work as expected, I just wonder if here's the need to spin
> down the drive from time to time, since it's plastic-covered, it perhaps
> could become too hot. It's just a little bit warm at the moment, not
> hot, IMO there is no risk of overheating.

I use a Nexxtech NX2 external drive case, with my laptop's old standard
2.5" hard drive in it. The case is aluminum and does an excellent job of
keeping the drive cool.

Always wondered why people felt the need to by external drives when you
could get a better external drive housing and put the drive of your
choice in it ...

--
David
gnome@email-addr-hidden