Re: [LAU] LightWorks for Linux Demo

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Wed Mar 13 2013 - 15:09:15 EET

On Wed, 2013-03-13 at 23:50 +1100, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> On Wed, March 13, 2013 11:10 pm, Louigi Verona wrote:
> > As for Ralf's prediction of everyone jumping on Linux, I think this is not
> > happening in the near future - if ever.

Was it me or another Ralf?

I don't think that Linux will have a chance during our lifetime. But we
never know! Was it in the film "Bladerunner", all the futuristic Atari
advertising? We don't have Atari anymore. I never could imagine that
some day we would go back from parallel to serial and today I'm using
SATA only.

However, what ever my claims were, right now I completely agree with
you.

> There are more people using Linux variants in China than the whole
> population of the USA...

That's a good argument and I guess you're right, but China isn't known
for their films and audio recordings, regarding to this we should take a
look at the Western world. China is missing a little bit of
understanding what "free" does mean, not a good place for artists.

http://sacom.hk/mission

That reminds me of the Simpsons. People were waiting in front of an
Apple store to get an iThingy and they made a joke about the rareness of
iProducts, so that there's the need to stay overnight, to get the last
iThingy.

They showed that an assembly belt did connect the Apple Store with the
factory. I guess most people today have some Android, Windows or Apple
thing and don't care for desktop machines anymore, especially not for
professional workflows.