Re: [LAU] LightWorks for Linux Demo

From: michael noble <looplog@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Mar 13 2013 - 15:20:52 EET

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 9:08 PM, Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden
> wrote:

> Linux users have already eclipsed Mac users the Steam user stats and Steam
> for Linux was only released 1 month ago.
>
> http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey#cat0
>
> It's ok though. When you decide to let go you will find you can fly ;-)

While I respect your enthusiasm and optimism, like all stats those can be
interpreted as you wish if you want to be selective. For instance, just
Windows 8 users alone, an OS which has been roundly bagged in the four
months or so it has been on the market, actually "eclipse" Mac and Linux
users combined and has a faster growth rate as well. Not to mention that
most of the games ported to Linux Steam have been either indie titles or
very old titles (like 10 years old). Some of them, like those from
Frictional Games were already on Linux. So what has been made available
through Steam may be convenient, but is hardly game changing just yet.

I agree that we don't need to be pessimistic about the future of Linux, but
hype is hype and can often be more harmful than helpful if one wants to be
taken seriously.