Re: [LAU] LightWorks for Linux Demo

From: Ivan Tarozzi <itarozzi@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Mar 14 2013 - 13:32:46 EET

Il 13/03/2013 23:12, Ralf Mardorf ha scritto:
> On Thu, 2013-03-14 at 00:51 +0400, Louigi Verona wrote:
>> Microsoft also rarely speak about their kernel.
>
> Louigi points out something very important. The averaged knowledge about
> computers by the majority of Windows desktop computer users is far below
> the knowledge of the averaged subscriber to LAU. Even for wide spread
> computers were the kernel often was mentioned, the C64 is one of those,
> just a special type of user did know what the kernel is. However, when
> we say "Linux", we usually do not mean the kernel only. I use the words
> "Linux" and "BSD" not for the kernel only, but also call the user space
> "Linux" and "BSD".
>
> How do you call the user space for your distro?

I call it : GNU/Linux System :)

Since Linux is important on my system, more important is GNU side, that
permits developers to write, compile and link software.

And important are free licenses that permits me to use (and some time
collaborate) to projects.

Regarding other points of Louigi:

I admit there are a large number of people not interested to free
software philosophy and freedoms, but we forget a point:

Are people paying license for all software they use? If we talk about
the mass (and not about professional users) we have to consider this point.
Let's take digital photography. I know there are courses where teacher
say: lightroom or photoshop are the best software. Use it! Crack it! :(

So, may be a large number of users are not interested to free-software
freedoms, but I think a large number of users will look to windows
alternatives if they will have to pay for all software they use :)

Ivan