Re: [LAU] Sending audio out and back into JACK

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 15 2013 - 23:34:24 EET

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 02:34:11PM +0000, Andrew C wrote:

> No question is a stupid question, as they say, so I might as well ask.
> What kind of external audio hardware/JACK trickery would I need to
> send a synth running on my laptop through a seperate output channel on
> an audio interface with multiple ins/outs, send it, let's say, through
> some outboard effects, and then back into the laptop as a seperate
> input?

As others have already pointed out, no trickery is required.
Connecting things via Jack is similar to connecting HW with
cables. If you want to listen to the result in stereo then
you need at least three outputs and one input, if mono is OK
then a normal stereo card will do the job.

Regarding the delay, this could be problem, not matter at all,
or even be a good thing. It all depends on what the external
effect is doing. If it is a reverb and does not include the
dry sound then the delay won't matter. If it is a reverb and
it does contain the dry sound then there's no reason to mix it.
In other cases, if the return signal from the effect is 'similar'
to the original and the delay does create a problem, then you
need to compensate for it *exactly*, not just the nominal value
as shown by Jack, but the exact one that jack-delay will tell
you. A small error could have a worse effect than a big one,
or no compensation at all.

Ciao,

--
FA