Re: [LAU] Autologin to locked desktop was: Re: LightWorks for Linux Demo

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Mon Mar 18 2013 - 21:42:21 EET

On Mon, 18 Mar 2013 20:03:38 +0100, Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Mon, March 18, 2013 11:41 am, david wrote:
>
>> Sounds like a silly lot of hoop-jumping just to save yourself from
>> typing in your login ID.
>
> As one user said, it is worth while in a production environment where in
> the event of a power out, the system can restore itself to running on
> power restore even unattended and when some of those apps are GUI apps
> run
> after an X login. The immediate lock still requires typing a password and
> most DMs default to the last used id anyway. So no typing is saved at all
> anyway... that was not the point of the exercise in the first place.
>
> Having done a little support work on IRC, I have learned that nobody else
> works the way that makes sense to me. Some times I help them do it the
> wrong way and find out later that it makes really good sense for their
> particular use.

And I was unconcentrated, in a hurry, so there are mistakes and clutter.
Especially when focusing one distro and one method, it shouldn't be that
hard.
I did not compare what Len has written with my words, but I guess it was
similar.

However, I'm convinced it is possible to auto-start an audio session with
less effort. Just automatically logging in, is very easy to do.