[LAU] enabling autologin (was ... Re: LightWorks for Linux Demo)

From: Chris Bannister <cbannister@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Mar 19 2013 - 08:08:30 EET

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 10:41:15AM -0400, drew Roberts wrote:
> On Monday 18 March 2013 06:22:08 Chris Bannister wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 11:12:21AM +0400, Louigi Verona wrote:
> > > Yet, when I ask - how do I make Xubuntu to autologin my user instead of
> > > asking for a password every time, you know what I am told?
> >
> > Is security not a concern in your eyes?
>
> Say you are running rivendell on the air 24x7. If somehow the computer
> reboots, you want the machine to boot up, login, perhaps set up jack and any
> other "plumbing" type stuff, run rdairplay and load today's log, start
> playing music and commercials.
>
> So what do you do?

I would look at setting up a "kiosk system", e.g.
http://www.alandmoore.com/blog/2011/11/05/creating-a-kiosk-with-linux-and-x11-2011-edition/
http://users.telenet.be/mydotcom/howto/linuxkiosk/intro.htm
http://linuxgazette.net/128/adam1.html

But of course, if no one else has access to the computer and it is not
connected to the web, then you are pretty much free to do as you wish.

Hopefully, some ideas can be garnered from the web, those links above
are from a quick google using "linux kiosk system" as the search
term(s).

oppressing." --- Malcolm X