Re: [LAU] Trying to run jackd from udev

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Sat Mar 23 2013 - 15:02:08 EET

On Sat, 2013-03-23 at 13:39 +0100, Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
> On 03/23/2013 11:29 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Udev#Automounting_udisks_wrappers
>
> An USB MIDI drumpad is not a removable device that can be mounted.

Yes, I'm still confused since "device" vs "block device", so I sent a
request to Arch general.

To: General Discussion about Arch Linux
Subject: udev
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 12:00:45 +0100

Hi,

before I start learning how to use udev, I've got some questions to
understand what program can do or not do what I want. I don't want to
know how to do it, if something is able to do what I want, I'll do
research and read myself, I just want to know if it's possible and by
what program it is possible, assumed it can be done.

"udevil - udevil "mounts and unmounts removable devices [snip] It can
also selectively automatically start applications or execute commands
after mounting [snip]" -
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Udev#Automounting_udisks_wrappers

IIUC it doesn't auto-mount? Not that important for me.

Since I needed to remove gvfs, because it wakes up sleeping external USB
drives, I want to have something else to mount block devices as easy as
possible.

Does this or something else also enable to execute a command, after an
USB MIDI device is connected? IOW can I use it to launch jackd after an
USB MIDI device is connected or is there another way to do this?

Somebody on LAU tries to do something similar, until now without
success,
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/pipermail/linux-audio-user/2013-March/091699.html .

Any hints are welcome.

Regards,