Re: [LAU] Free instrument sample library

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Mar 23 2013 - 19:19:18 EET

On Sun, March 24, 2013 4:01 am, Brett McCoy wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 12:48 PM, Nicholas Schoonover
> <schoonover.nicholas@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
>> My name is Nicholas Schoonover and I am interested in creating a free
>> instrument sample library.
>
> This is an excellent project to embark on, and a good orchestral
> library is desperately needed for Linux.

You mean a Free Library right?

> There are a couple out there
> that are adequate, but have some limitations (and are also aggregate
> libraries with symphonic samples not all from the same source).

There are very many professional sample libraries that can be used with
Linux Audio software but there are not many free and open libraries.

There are at least two projects that are in progress at the moment. Nils
Gey is collating a sample library which is apparently going to be hosted
on linuxaudio.org and there are a few people working on another similar
project in sfz format.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd