Re: [LAU] Free instrument sample library

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Mar 23 2013 - 19:44:50 EET

On Sun, March 24, 2013 4:26 am, Brett McCoy wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 1:19 PM, Patrick Shirkey
> <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, March 24, 2013 4:01 am, Brett McCoy wrote:

>>> This is an excellent project to embark on, and a good orchestral
>>> library is desperately needed for Linux.
>>
>> You mean a Free Library right?
>
> Yes. There aren't much in the way that are commercial either,
> certainly not comparable to what can be found for VSL, Kontakt or EWQL
> PLAY. What commercial stuff is there that will work on Linux?

I hear giga format libraries will run under Linux sampler and there are a
couple of other formats that can be converted to a more open format. There
used to be an excellent piano library available from an American
University which might still be available if you search this list and lots
of drums too.

Several people/companies have built their own libraries with sfz or sf2
format (swami is good for the latter) but they don't share them for free.
You have to know where to look, what you are looking for and be prepared
to spend some decent coin somewhere between $5000 - $20,000 to get them to
share with you.

The main problem with high quality sample libraries is that it takes a lot
of time and effort to make a good one and pretty much everyone who embarks
on such a project wants to recuperate their costs at the minimum. Making
it harder these days is not many people are in the position where they can
donate that kind of time/effort or convince someone else to sponsor their
efforts so they can release for free.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd