Re: [LAU] Console tools for linux audio and other things

From: Nick Copeland <nickycopeland@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Mar 28 2013 - 14:51:53 EET

> As for wifi, hmm Harry, I don't quite remember of a manager program.
> I just use the following set of commands:
> # ip link set wlan0 up
> # iwlist wlan0 scan | less

GUI apps and CLI toolkits are generally a front end to the required commands:
    ifconfig wlan0 up iwlist wlan0 scan | egrep -i '(key|essid|auth)'
Choose the essid you want, see if it has a key and if so the auth type. If auth is as below you can connect to the net with:
    NONE/off: iwconfig wlan0 essid <wlan id>
PSK is a bit more work, first generate a key file, then start the negotiation
# wpa_password <wlan id> >~/wpa.key# reading passphrase from stdindafttxtstartszebrassweetgrassfeedfestcraze
# wpa_supplicant -i wlan0 -c ~/wpa.key
Finally
# dhclient wlan0
And you should be good to go. You might want to bounce (down/up) the interface as doing so will force an event to start the negotiation. Do that before the dhclient.
You could script this especially if you generally only sign on to your home network. I travel a lot so prefer to just type it all in. Lots more fun. BTW none of this works if you have a network manager app running, they will complete for the settings and things become very frustrating/unpredictable. If your wlan0 id has spaces, '@', '-', things like that, then you will need to quote the wlan id string.
Regards, nick.