Re: [LAU] What is the best MP3 encoder?

From: ben <brouits@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 29 2013 - 20:07:45 EET

Le 29/03/2013 08:27, Leigh Dyer a écrit :

> LAME isn't just the best thing in the Linux audio world, it's about the
> best MP3 encoder out there, full-stop; there's no way you're going to
> get a better-sounding MP3. Even if you can hear differences, it's
> incredibly unlikely that anyone else, who doesn't have your familiarity
> with the source material, is going to be able to hear any.
>
> In fact, I'd honestly be surprised if you really are hearing a
> difference, or hearing the differences you think you're hearing. Doing a
> proper ABX test, using a tool like Squishyball, could be very
> instructive here -- you might find that you have a lot more trouble
> picking the difference between the MP3 and the WAV than you think you
> would.
>
> If you do want to do an ABX test, use LAME to decode the MP3 back to
> WAV, and then supply that WAV to Squishyball, along with the original
> WAV from before you encoded it:
>
> lame --decode foo.mp3 foo.wav
>
> The MP3 format adds a delay to the start of files during the encoding
> process, and using LAME to decode it in this way will eliminate that
> delay on decoding (assuming the original file was encoded with LAME,
> too). If you don't eliminate that delay, then the results of the test
> would be invalid, since you might end up noticing the delay, rather than
> any real differences between the files.
>
> In fact, I'd recommend this to anyone who's never done it before --
> modern encoders are remarkable things, and there's no better way of
> demonstrating this than with an ABX test.
>
> Thanks
> Leigh

Hello,
I have not followed completely this thread, but i wonder if the question
should be "what is the best MP3 decoder" instead of "encoder".
I almost always used lame (or liblame) as an encoder, but with the same
mp3 file encoded by lame, i could actually _hear_ a diffenrence among
several mp3 decoders. AFAIR, in the early 2k years, mpg123 was far
better than mpg321, if i remember well. I hope my memory doesn't fail..
cheers,
- Ben