[LAU] Terrible mic ground noise

From: <jonetsu@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Mar 31 2013 - 17:06:01 EEST

Hello,

   There is a very bad ground noise when I connect the M-Audio pulsar
mic into a mic input of the 1010LT. As soon as I touch the mic, the
ground noise disappears. Complete silence. But then, try to play bass
like that. The mic goes through a Radial JDI passive direct box. It
has the 15dB pad on because it makes a bit less ground noise. I tried
various settings on the DI box, bit none gets rid of the noise.

   The electric plug has only two prongs. I though of getting some
copper wire and somehow run a length of wire from the electric plug
receptacle to a nearby set of copper water pipes. That shoudl get the
rig grounded, would it ?

   Before getting into that or anything else, is that ground noise a
factor of a cheap microphone ? Or is it the quality of the 1010LT input
that uses not-so-good decoupling capacitors (or some such) ? Is it
possible to have silence without getting pro hardware ?

Thanks for suggestions/ideas/hints !