Re: [LAU] Terrible mic ground noise

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Apr 02 2013 - 02:06:12 EEST

On Mon, Apr 01, 2013 at 04:14:24PM -0400, jonetsu@email-addr-hidden wrote:

> The setup is now connected via a 3-prong extension to an outlet that
> is grounded. No More Ground Noise. This is so nice.

:-)

> Is it possible to probe the microphone's pins and by the impedance
> or something find out if it is made for having a phantom power
> supply ? I have a meter that I can put to good use.

If it's a dynamic mic then the resistance between pins 2 or 3
and pin 1 (= ground) should be 'infinite'. The resistance between
pins 2 and 3 should be low, and you should be able to hear 'clicks'
when measuring it while holding the mic to your ear. It should even
be able to produce some sound when connected to a headphone output,
but be careful when testing that.

Ciao,

--
FA