Re: [LAU] What is the best MP3 encoder?

From: Jostein Chr. Andersen <jostein@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Apr 02 2013 - 12:04:35 EEST

On 04/02/2013 09:31 AM, Peder Hedlund wrote:
> Over at HydrogenAudio they have a rule that you aren't allowed to talk
> about hearing differences between audio files unless you can prove it in
> an ABX test.
> You really should try doing one and check if you *really* can hear the
> difference between the original wav and an mp3 produced by, say, "lame
> -V4" ( which would be ~160kbps) or if it's just your mind fooling you
> into thinking you can. Never underestimate the power of belief :)

Are you basically saying that it's no need for lossless formats? ;-)

All respect for HydrogenAudio, but I can't think about other's rules
when I just have to make a MP3 file without esses or tones that's
missing, then I just have to do the mix better and somehow compensate a
little bit. MP3 artifacts and some quality loss are well known issues
and should not create to much debate. I already use LAME through
Audacity, I don't need help on that and take anybody's word for it when
they say that this is the best encoder. Then it's only one thing left: I
need to improve my mixes, and as I've said earlier elsewhere: I have no
problem dealing with that. And believe me: I know very well that you
can't always trust your ears and that everything will sound the same
every time. :-)

Jostein