Re: [LAU] What is the best MP3 encoder?

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Tue Apr 02 2013 - 16:42:29 EEST

On Tue, 2013-04-02 at 15:11 +0200, Peder Hedlund wrote:
> Quoting Florian Paul Schmidt <mista.tapas@email-addr-hidden>:
>
> > Anecdote time :D I have a friend who's a mild audiophile.
> > We went through with the test and there was no statistically significant
> > discrimination.
> >
> > My other friend could not believe it, so we repeated the experiment
> > with him. I threw the die 20 more times, etc.. Again, no statistically
> > significant discrimination.
>
> Here's another good audio anecdote :
> http://consumerist.com/2008/03/03/do-coat-hangers-sound-as-good-monster-cables/

Just for the record, I'm using telephone cable, 4 twisted non litz wire,
for one speaker pair and very thin loudspeaker cable for another pair
and there's no difference to expensive cable, but I'm using different
1/4" and XLR jacks and I experienced the monster-connectors are much
better than elCheapo connectors. I hope that Neutric today does use
better plastic, I guess my first Neutric's cable reliefs get broken
after less than 15 years (not really god quality), but I anyway prefer
Neutric and nowadays Rean to other vendors. I've got some connectors
that get broken, just by soldering and I know how to solder. I don't own
Tuchel at home, but I like the expensive Tuchel big and small very much.

The funny thing is, nobody will be able to hear a difference by doing an
ABX test. You'll hear the difference, once you hold a microphone in your
hand and the XLR connector does cause crackling when moving the hand.
You'll experience a difference, if you need to open and close the
connector and if you have to solder. And btw. the audiophiles simply
won't use the telephone cable or coat hangers for their speakers,
regarding to the optical design. It's absolutely ok to sell and to buy
"emotions", a "life style". The telephone cable I'm using definitive is
not a pretty sight.