Re: [LAU] What is the best MP3 encoder?

From: Chris Bannister <cbannister@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Apr 02 2013 - 18:00:01 EEST

On Tue, Apr 02, 2013 at 02:35:29PM +0200, Peder Hedlund wrote:
> I saw a test where a bunch of professional musicians and engineers
> listened to a guitar player playing an old $5000 Les Paul and a $500
> copy and were asked to tell which was the expensive one. About half
> of them failed, including the guitar player in the group.
> The same was true for a Stradivarius and a cheap beginners violin,
> though IIRC the violin player was correct.

Isn't there a thing called hearing fatigue? Where you may not be able
to acurately tell the difference in a blind test, (hell, even bad gear
can sound better to certain people playing certain music.) but where,
after a longish period of time, the listener may tire and get fatigued
with the cheaper stuff? (e.g. beginners violin) compared to a lot longer
listening period on say, a Stradivarius?

oppressing." --- Malcolm X