[LAU] Which audio interface and hardware controller should I get?

From: Rusty Perez <rustys.lists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Apr 02 2013 - 20:09:56 EEST

Hi folks!
I'm a new Linux audio convert.
I'm in the process of building my system right now!
I'd like some suggestions about usb or firewire audio interfaces.
First of all, I'll tell you what my ideal setup would be.
I'd like more than two simultaneous analog inputs. I'd like midi
input, and even hardware controller capabilities.
I know that some units have this all built in to one. I'm very
intrigued by the Tascam 1884, an older firewire unit which has 8
analog inputs with preamps. It also offers midi i/o and works as a
midi control surface in a Mackie Emulation mode. I don't know if it
has any linux support. This would be the dream, but I have to start
somewhere.

I have available to me a Tascam us122 which I could start with if it
is supported.
I have looked at a few pages detailing supported audio devices, but
they seemed a little older so I thought I should come to the list to
get up to date info!

In any case, your suggestions are welcome!

Thanks!
Rusty